Monday, November 14, 2011

A Weekend of Owl's Heads



The title of this blog entry may sound like it will be more about birds than trails, but on the contrary there are no owls involved in this posting. Instead the term Owl's Head refers to a mountain in Keene and a rocky outcropping near Elizabethtown. It was not my intention to climb two trails with the same name this weekend, it just happened. If I had planned my hikes in advance I could have made it an Owl's Head trio by climbing yet another Owl's Head-named mountain in Long Lake over the weekend. Which begs the question--why is "Owl's Head" such a popular place name in the Adirondacks? What is it about these peaks that looked like an owl's head? Did these peaks once have tall trees on either side resembling the tufts of a Great-Horned Owl? Did the trees used to cover the summits in a rounded shape resembling the head of a Barred Owl? If this once was the case neither peak has these resemblances now. As very popular trails due to their ease of climb for an almost 360 degree view both peaks are mostly stripped of vegetation, and the trees that do grow up there are twisted and gnarled from being so exposed to the elements. Approaching Owl's Head Mtn. as you descend from the Cascade lakes the shape of an Owl's Head is the last thing that comes to mind, and instead the controversial name of "Nippletop" seems far more appropriate. Owl Head lookout is no more than a rocky outcropping jutting from the side of a small, unnamed peak, and could be more aptly named "Falcon Head" as the cliffs look like excellent habitat for Peregrine Falcons.


Sunset over Cascade Mtn.
Names aside both trails are very rewarding for very little effort. I climbed Owl's Head Mtn. at dusk on Saturday hoping to catch the sunset over the mountains. The short climb can be done in about 20 minutes, and is easily descended in the dark. I reached the summit just as the sun was peeking out of the clouds over Pitchoff Mtn., and as it lowered it cast shadows of red on the hillsides below and lined the clouds over cascade in shades of pink. I scrambled all around the summit to snap views in all directions as the light changed and made new patterns, while trying to keep my balance against the whipping wind. It was a warm day for this season, but with the wind I was bundled up like it was mid-winter to stay warm. When the sun dipped below the mountains and the colors faded I headed down, and was surprised to pass another person still climbing in the almost darkness. I hope he wasn't hoping to catch the sunset--cause he missed it!
 Shades of red cast on the mountainsides


Sunset over Pitchoff Mtn.

Small waterfall on the way to Owl Head lookout
My hike up Owl Head Lookout was a last minute decision made by looking at my map and picking a trail I hadn't been to before (something that's becoming harder to do these days). It was already early afternoon so I needed a shorter hike, and a 2.7 mile climb sounded just right. I don't know why I hadn't noticed this trail in my guide books before, as it's really a lovely walk at an easy grade past scenic streams and cliffs to a view of almost continuous wilderness. The last .2 miles are rather steep, and not something I'd want to scramble up in the winter, but it's quickly over and you find yourself with a striking view of the Giant and Hurricane Mtn. wilderness areas. The outcropping faces southwest, the direction of our most prevailing winds, and the twisted trunks of birches and balsams at the top from these winds make the perfect foreground for picture taking. I'm anxious to climb this trail again next fall, as it looks like a fantastic place to photograph fall foliage. The winds were still whipping yesterday, and I almost toppled over once while taking photos. With the chilling wind I only spent a short time on the summit and took my time on the path down, stopping to admire some of the small waterfalls and moss-covered rocks I passed on my rush to reach the summit. The woods were quiet, I didn't hear hardly any birds, and, sadly, there were no owls.


Panoramic view from Owl Head Lookout


No comments:

Post a Comment